Friday, September 12, 2014

Creepy Guys

This is a piece of flash fiction I wrote about something that has been bothering me lately. 


Creepy Guys

“Why is it only creepy guys hit on me?”  My friend, Jane, asks me while we are having dinner.

“Define creepy.” I say

“You know guys that are weird or say really inappropriate things.”

“Can you give me an example?” I ask

“Okay. Give me a minute.”  Her eyes automatically drift upward as she thinks.  “Oh, alright, I have a good example.  So a couple of weeks ago, I went to a barbeque at Tabitha’s house.  Do you remember?  I told you about that right?”

I nod remembering vaguely her mentioning something like that. 

“I started talking to this I guy, Kevin.”  She shrugs as she says this.  “We both shared a love of Kevin Smith films.”

“Was he cute?”  I ask

“No, he was a little balding and kind of on the heavier side.  Plus, I’m pretty sure he was much older than me.” 

“Okay, I get it.  So, how is he creepy?”

“Just wait.  I’m getting to that.”  She rolls her eyes at my impatience. “Let me finish.”

“Alright, I’ll stop interrupting. Continue.”  I gesture with my hand for her to continue.

“When I was about to leave, he wanted told me he wanted to hang out again.  I said sure thinking he meant as friends.”

“Okay, I can see that.”  I say nodding

“So, we make arrangements to meet for coffee later that week.  That seemed innocent enough.” She says as her voice seems to get a little higher.

“Sure. What happened when you met?”

“This is where it gets weird.  We meet and talk for a while. An hour or so went by, and I mentioned I needed to get going.  He offered to walk me to my car.  I told him that was unnecessary, but he kept insisting.  So, I let me him.  We continued to talk all way to my car.  When we finally reached it, he was standing next to me.  He didn’t move away.  I started thinking this is getting weird now.  ‘This is my car,’ I say to him.  Trying to hint that I wanted to leave.  He was standing with his side to the door handle so I couldn’t get in and just leave.  Then, he put his arm around me and tried to pull me into him.  I thought he was trying to hug me or something.  It felt very awkward.  When he had his arm around, I hadn’t had time to move my arm, and he ended up pinning my arm to my side.  So, pretty much I couldn’t really move my right arm.  I was trying to pull away, and he leaned in like he was going to kiss me.”  Jane shivers as she says this.  “He didn’t though.  I think something in the look I was giving him told to him not to.  Letting go of me, he tried to brush it off by saying ‘Have a good day.’ And walking away.  I haven’t heard from him since.  Thank God.”

I sit quietly thinking for a moment.  “Let me ask you this.  If the man had been attractive, would you have considered this a date?  Clearly, he did.”

“What? No, that had nothing to do with why I wasn’t interested.”  Jane says a little defensively.  “I just didn’t like him in that way.”

“But you said you had a lot in common with him.”  I argue

“Yes, but there was nothing there.  I didn’t have those feelings.”

“I see.  And you didn’t make it clear before you met up with that this was just friends?” I ask

“I didn’t think I needed to.”

“Are you sure this guy was creepy or just a case of miscommunication?”

“I’m not sure.” Jane says


Lately, I've been feeling like the term "creepy" that girls use for certain guys has been thrown around too loosely.  I, myself, am included in that.  I chose not to use a really example in the short story above, but I still wanted to try to illustrate an example of this.  I also wanted to pose a few questions:

What makes a guy creepy?  Examples.

Can attractive guys be considered creepy or just unattractive guys?

How much less are attractive men considered creepy than unattractive?


I'm not trying to say that there aren't creepy guys out there.  However, I think maybe we should take sometime and think before applying the label.  I'm interested to hear all your thoughts and opinions.

This is a funny a funny video I found when I was researching this topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment