Friday, April 18, 2014

Sometimes I feel like a doormat

        My friend and I have just finished working out and are enjoying the sauna.  “Sometimes I feel like a doormat.”  

My friend turns to me.  I can see the beads of sweat bubbling on her face.  “How so?” she asks taking a towel and wiping the sweat away.

“My friend called me last week crying.  So naturally I asked what /why.  She had been planning a small celebration for a promotion she had received recently.  This was to occur the next day.  The same day she was moving into her new apartment.  She wanted to have dessert, but would not have time to pick up anything.  She went on and on about how no one cares.  Feeling sorry for her, I volunteered to pick up dessert after work.  She brought up how we made cupcakes for another friend, but I probably didn’t have time to do that.  I said I don’t, but I will get some.  I didn’t really have time due to other commitments, but I thought it would be a nice gesture.”

“That was sweet of you, but why do you feel like a doormat?”  My friend asks wrapping her towel around her neck and leaning back.

“There’s more.”  I say leaning back too.  “I texted her the day of the celebration to find out what time to be there.  I showed up at the designated time only to find out that no one was there, only her.  She told me she hadn’t had time to tell anyone what time to be there, even though she had set this up a week before.  Another person who was supposed to be there came early to help her move and left because she had to get up early for work the next day.  I had to get up early too the next day.  I sat there with expensive cupcakes and no one to eat them.  Her roommates stayed in another room and ignored us.  I was beyond mad that I had gone to all of that trouble for nothing.”

“I’m so sorry.  That sucks.  Did you say anything?”

“No, I couldn’t.  I was just too mad, I didn’t want to fight with her.  However, it gets worse.”

“How?”  My friend is now staring at me waiting for me to continue.

I take a moment.  “After I left, she posted a thank you on Facebook to her roommates and her other friend for everything they did that day.  I was not included in the thank you.”

“Wow.”  This my friend’s only response.



No comments:

Post a Comment